Thursday, October 08, 2009

"Merle's Door"


"The differences between cats and dogs have probably been noted since cats began to live with people in Jericho and Cyprus about seven thousand years ago: how cats are solitary and dogs social, and how cats share our homes but never lose their wildness whereas dogs become almost totally domesticated."
I think we all know how I feel about cats vs. dogs and that dogs will always win in my book. However, we also know that cats absolutely love me. They think I am their couch/chair/personal play mate. But we also know that there is one cat looking down who captured my heart. Granted, Harold was more dog than cat, but we had a mutual respect for each other. He didn't like people, I don't like cats, and the two of us got along wonderfully. This quote from Merle's Door reminded me of my general feelings about the difference in the animals, along with the difference in Harold.

"I bought food in the grocery store, seeing too many people I knew, some of whom had heard about Merle and asked how he was. I had to keep my jaw clenched, telling them about his condition, so as not to break down. Not that I'm averse to shedding tears in public - I've done my share at funerals - but who wants to be a wreck in the produce aisle."
For those of you who know me as Broccoli, I think why I like this quote is pretty self-explanatory. And even if you don't know me as Broccoli, you know that I am a sensitive person. I am inspired though, because I don't know that I would be able to stop myself from being a wreck in a store aisle as Ted Kerasote has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment