Monday, September 13, 2010

Hey, That's Me!

So apparently it is "Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week" and I found this survey, so...here we go :)

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know
1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes 
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 1989. 
3. But I had symptoms since: less than one week.  I had an appointment with my pediatrician a week or two before with a result of she's a perfectly healthy 3 year old.  
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: then: I couldn't have sips of Dad's Coke.
5. Most people assume: that its a mistake since I'm not fat.  
6. The hardest part about mornings are: not sleeping through the alarm, just like someone without a chronic illness
7. My favorite medical TV show is: Grey's Anatomy
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my insulin pump.  It gives me life, it gives me freedom. 
9. The hardest part about nights are: waking up low, or trying to fall asleep while I'm low.
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please) I take one mulitvitamin in the morning.  However, I wear an insulin pump and give myself at least 12 boluses per day. 
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: am thankful to have an insulin pump.  (I realize that this is not the intent of this question, but the eternal optimist in me answered this question.)
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: I don't know.  I feel like when I introduce myself to people I always tells them I have diabetes, so I've never embraced the invisible aspect of this illness.  But if I didn't have a choice, I have no idea.  
13. Regarding working and career: what about it?
14. People would be surprised to know: that even after 21 years, I still want a vacation, am still ready to hand over my care to someone else and want to wildly be independent. 
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: every moment affects the next. 
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: triathalon
17. The commercials about my illness: sometimes say “with our meter you no longer have to prick your finger for blood”.  What they don’t tell you is that you have to prick your arm instead. 
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Spending the day with my grammy and best friend? (I was three, I have no idea how to answer this question)
19. It was really hard to have to give up: staying in the pediatric wing of the hospital.  I was a happy, healthy 3 year old who was in the hospital so her parents could learn how to take care of her.  I visited the geriatric unit all the time
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: The only thing I still do that I did prior is breathe and ski and probably giggle.  
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: feel naked & wouldn't know what to do. 
22. My illness has taught me: a lot.  That's its okay to get upset and pissed off and that some people are never going to understand, and the person you think won't understand, gets it the best. 
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: You're not fat
24. But I love it when people: understand it, don't think I'm crazy, allow me to have my moments
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way."
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: I give them a hug. 
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: that so many people have it worse.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: be there for me 110%
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: it affects more people than you'd think. 
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: I felt more profound when I started, but no matter what you take away from it, you take away something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment